Pages

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Post 29

Continuing with the theme of women in the Bible. This one is more pensive and not one I envision being performed.


Hagar

You want a son and so you give me to your husband.
Give me!
But I am but a servant. My body is yours to do with as you please.

Does he touch you like this? I wonder.

I am his now, and no other man will take me. But I have borne him the son you wanted, and for the comfort this gives me you treat me harshly. I did not go to you. I did not ask for this!

Twice I have found myself in the wilderness and twice the Lord has rescued me. El-roi, the God who sees me, heard me crying when I ran away, heard the cries of my son when we were sent away.

We did not perish in the wilderness for God showed me the well that sustained us. I have suffered, but my son has grown strong, he has married well, and I have been promised more descendants than I can count. This is my inheritance, my reward.  My son will flourish. He will succeed!

The cries of the broken and destitute do not fall on deaf ears, and the trials even of the lowly servant do not go unseen. Have I truly seen the One who sees me?

No comments:

Post a Comment